Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Dyes

For the last two days I've been working on gathering supplies for the dyes required to make colored hand-made tailored backpacks.  I kind of think of it as "I'm not really playing the game, I'm less addicted!" but that's only partly true -- crafting gets boring more quickly, and I probably log off sooner, but then again, I'm still logging in for a couple of hours a night at least.  I'm not actually getting any writing done, or reading more, or watching a movie or cleaning up my apartment.

I saw a bit online that suggested that another color was possible -- pink -- and that you could color the higher-quality excellent backpacks that appear to be the top-of-the-line backpacks these days (and wich require an "excellent" animal hide that probably drops off very high level mobs, so I'm not too concerned about making these just yet).  It sounds like for these you have to make the backpack first and then dye it afterwards (not sure if that means you can fail and lose your new backpack).  Anyway, something to look forward to later.

In the meantime, I've been hunting and gathering.  Monday night I went back to Marus Seru and spent a lot of time killing the rock guys; I wound up with 4 charcoal for my trouble, but they also dropped 5 iron oxide and 4 russett oxide which are used for other colors.  I really want more charcoal  though, these are used not only for the color black but for light gray that I need to make purple.



Next I went to Greater Faydark and Butcherblock Mountains to look for evergreen leaves.  It was kind of cool to visit these old zones again, but I was so focused on my hunt that I didn't explore that much.  GFay was the first zone I ever experienced in an MMO -- I remember how frightening and exhilarating it was to explore the whole zone at about level 3 or 4.  I also remember hunting this zone for evergreen leaves when they were first introduced, when dying was used to make colorful armor (which is completely useless armor these days, so nobody goes to the trouble of doing that).  I had a regular route and knew where the spawn locations were, but I don't remember any of that now.  I'm not even sure if the spawn points I found online are still good, since GFay has been given a revamp at some point -- a revamp that improved the wandering spawns, but did nothing for the blocky, ugly old zone design.

Anyway I tried to check one spawn point and ran around a good deal, and discovered nothing, so I headed to Lesser Faydark to hunt for the mushroom spawns around the fairy ring.  These were easy to find.  I picked everything up that I saw, camped out there, and when I came back later I grabbed everything that had respawned.  There are three different groundspawns here, and I'm not sure what the third one is used for, but the other two are for yellow and red dyes.

My next trip was to Permafrost, but I stopped in Qeynos to kill Hadden again.  Four kills so far and no fishbone earring.  I don't like taking that many faction hits, but oh well, I'm still going to get that earring.

Permafrost was confusing without a map (the EQ map function only works for me about half the time), but as long as I wasn't deep enough to disturb the dragon, everything was very green to me, so I stumbled around blindly and slaughtered goblins left and right.  I even found a few magic items that used to be considered good.  (I got a lot of Simple and Rough Defiant Armor drops as well -- that stuff drops everywhere, I've stared selling it to vendors now since I have so much in my bank already).  After a good hour and a half of killing I managed to scrounge up 8 permafrost crystals and tons of vendor trash.  I killed the three ice giants on my way in and back out again too.



Lastly I gated back to Crescent Reach and then made the run to Goru'kar Mesa where there are also evergreen leaf ground spawns in a protected fairy grove.  This still involved a lot of running around, they're hard to see and mostly you have to pick up acorns first to get the leaves to spawn, but I netted about 14 by the time I was done.  I also logged out here so I could look again when I logged back in.

Ultimately, I think I have everything I need to make just about any color I want now.  I just need to make the dyes and then try my luck with colored backpacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment