Sunday, June 23, 2013

Courier of Favor, and Hero's Forge


I did the "Courier of Favor" quest Friday Night, using an online walkthrough to explain how to do it quickly.  Even so it took me a good 2 1/2 to 3 hours to do.  Mind you, I took the long way in many cases, but still... it's a long quest.

If you were doing it the hard way (as in, no prior knowledge) then you'd be wandering the world looking for bards who want mail delivered, and making many back-and-forth trips to different cities.  The walkthrough explains where to go to gather all the mail destined for Kelethin, then all the mail for Freeport, then the mail for Qeynos, then the mail for Highpass.  You have to visit Freeport and Highpass twice, and you have to do a pair of sub-quests near the end of everything, but the end result is a very nice multi-slot bag with 100% weight reduction.

When I say I took the long way, I mean I ran all the way from Ak Anon to Kaladim and then back to Greater Faydark, instead of teleporting through the Plane of Knowledge several times.  I was bound in the Bazaar so every time I ported back I had to zone into the Bazaar and then zone out to the Plane of Knowledge, which slowed things down.  And I ran from Misty Thicket to Highpass, forgot to grab the mail for Qeynos so I had to go back later, and I also spent some time visiting the basement in Highpass Keep and reminiscing about the old days when it was a favorite place for players to hang out.

I also got confused about one instruction in the walk-through, which after the first contact Ton Twostring in East Freeport, it says "take the mage to North Ro".  I didn't know what this meant, but there's a mage in North Ro who can send you places... but you don't "take the mage" to North Ro, you don't have any other reason to be in North Ro, and the mage in North Ro did not send me to my next destination but instead sent me to Nedaria's Landingi, a zone above Surefall Glade and Jaggedpine Forest that I didn't know existed (it wasn't there back when I played).  This zone connects to some other continent via boats I think, except that boat service no longer exists in the game.  That makes me kind of sad, even though the boat rides were one of the biggest and stupidest time-sinks in EQ in the old days.

But basically, the instructions to "take the mage to North Ro" were both confusing and completely useless.  Not to mention, virtually nowhere else in the walk-through does it explain how to get from one place to another, so I don't know why that comment was even there.

I did the quest again Sunday on my alt enchanter Prisstina, who is by now level 36.  I did it much faster this time, in less than 2 hours I think.  I had a much better idea of what I was doing and I didn't get sidetracked.

Saturday I set out to vastly increase my tailoring skills.  I worked on Wu's fighting armor (with the help of viscous mana from my new enchanter) and got almost to 158 where the shirt becomes trivial.  Then I immediately started in on coarse silk templates, which trivial at 175.  When I ran out of coarse silk I started in on natural silk templates, which trivial above 200 but I ran out of natural silk at 175 tailoring skill.  I probably should have found more coarse silk to reach 175 before using my natural silk, but I was impatient.  Anyway, I can see that I need to gather a whole bunch more natural silk, which will be my new goal the next time I decide to work on it.

I also spent money on the market.  I finally bought the Hero's Forge update for my character, and ran around  looking for Sylvan armor pieces to update my look.  I had to substitute a few non-sylvan chain pieces so the work is still in progress, but I bought the bunny hat which was one of my main goals.  Ever since I first played EQ, back when a barbarian shaman who put on a leather cap would display a polar bear's head hat, I've wanted to some way display a bear's head hat with a more substantial armored helmet.  I even occasionally wore a leather cap just for that look.  Finally, EQ has made it possible to make any helmet at all look like a bear's hat (or bunny hat, or several variations). I approve!  This was the main reason I spent money on the Hero's Forge armor appearance upgrade.  I'd seen the bunny hat, and I wanted it.  I'm not skilled enough to make it myself so I spent waaaay too much money on the market for one, but I'm happy with the look.

I also bought a 36-slot 100% weight reduction bag from the marketplace since it was available.  It's WAAAY too much money, but for tradeskills I need as many slots as I can get.


No comments:

Post a Comment