Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Finally Made An Alt

Last night I made an alt.

Actually I made two alts, but I only really did anything with one.  That was Prisstina, a gnome enchanter.  I had a gnome enchanter previously in Everquest, purely because gnomes can learn the tinkering tradeskill and enchanters can enchant metal (and cast clarity, which I loved back in the day).  My gnome enchanter in the old days was named Ashti, and was at one point the 4th highest tinkerer on the Test Server.

My second alt was a dark elf necromancer.  I don't have any ulterior or trade-skill related motive for making her, but necromancers have always been some of the most fearsome soloers in the game and I had a dark elf necro back in the day as well that I enjoyed quite a bit.

I've been trying to avoid making any alts up until now.  My history with MMO's is one filled with many alts and very few high-level main characters.  In Everquest, I started with a wood elf ranger, switched to Jalia my barbarian shaman, switched to a druid named Ashleigh, then moved to Test and started a cleric named Aquaisha.  There were a lot of other alts along the way, but even after I settled on a new version of Jalia I had other alts -- Dill the rogue, a warrior, a monk named Shan Pu.  Party because of this, I never got Jalia or any other character to whatever the current max level was.  By the time Jalia hit 50, the max level was 60... then it was 65.  Jalia got to 53 or 54.  I followed this pattern in other games.  I was amazed when I played Disney's Toontown to get a character to the max level, because I'd never done that in any MMO up to that point.  In City of Heroes I got one character to 50 but I had a lot of alts, and it wasn't until I returned to the game several years later that I learned to concentrate on characters long enough to get them all the way to 50.  Even then, I had dozens and dozens of alts, and no character that maxed out the new alternate incarnate skill trees.  But I did have fifty level 50 characters in the end.

So with EQ I wanted to play just one character for a while, and I've done that.  But there's an advantage to having an alt or two.  More bank space, for one thing, and the ability to pursue tradeskills that I haven't yet tried.  But mostly it's fun to try different things.  Enchanters are fun for several reasons, such as all of the illusion spells they have.

I got my new chanter to level 10 in the tutorial last night, and I think I've learned how you can leave the tutorial and go back, though I haven't tried it.  But you can apparently log into the tutorial from the login screen at any point if you're level 10 or below, and can  teleport back there if you're still bound there until level 15.

My chanter is almost done with the tutorial already, but I want to kill the big boss still.  So I logged out before I hit level 11.

Having an alt also allows me to twink.  I bought an extremely nice any-level robe on the market for 5,000 plat (it was selling from others for as much as 45,000 plat, it's clearly a good twink robe).  I also bought a halfway decent dagger for 1,000 plat -- most of the daggers usable at any level were also very high priced.  I also bought another 16-slot bag, justifying a third of the five incredibly expensive expansion stone things that I bought the other day.  That was another 5,000 plat out the door.  I had come home to almost 38,000 plat, nearly completely recovered from all of my lavish spending on Sunday, and I spent a good chunk of it right away.  But overnight I sold 2 stacks of 20 gate potions, and those bring in 3,500 plat.  Despite the cost in making them, I believe I make at least 500 plat per stack of 20, but I haven't tracked my costs closely to see how accurate that is.  I managed to make two new stacks before leaving for work, so I may makes some more sales today.

No comments:

Post a Comment